Sunday, January 27, 2013

Good eats in Philly!

IMG_6060
From Kansai - the spicy girl roll on the right was the unanimous favorite (the peanuts on top!  wonderous!).  Also, Philadelphia has some strange restaurant quirks - the majority of them are cash only, and BYOB.  It was the first time I carried a bottle of wine into a restaurant...some even provide mixers and you bring the hard liquor!  (margaritas and tequila, anyone?  there isn't a corkage fee, though, so at least that was nice).  It just seemed so odd to me. 

IMG_6067
Claudio's in the Italian Market.

IMG_6081
We tried six different cheeses and several different meats, and the samples weren't tiny.  They were just enough to get a taste and enjoy.  Even better, our cheesemonger was thoughtful and took his time with us, we weren't rushed at all.  Formaggios, I love you, but I may have found a new favorite cheese shop!  We ended up buying a lovely hard cheese with salt crystals, a soft sheep's milk, and an inbetween cheese, not to mention speck, a salty dry aged beef, and salami.  We got so much food for $30, and it was worth every penny.  I am excited to get back to Philly and visit this place again.

IMG_6101
Homemade tortillas and tortilla chips!

IMG_6292
Be jealous.  This dinner was amazing.

Our last stop was Lolita for a restaurant week prix fix meal, and wow.  Delicious.  We all especially loved the posole, so I'm on the hunt for a recipe to try and replicate it.  The chili broth was just so warming, almost like pho.  I also had an appetizer with smoked salmon and avocado with jicama, and it was such a different take on the traditional lox (I've been craving a toasted bagel with lox and a schmear of cream cheese like crazy, and while this wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, it was great).

No comments: