Friday, November 30, 2012

November reads

Marie Therese: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter, by Susan Nagel
It's a giant (thorough) story of Marie Antoinette's life and continues through her daughter's journey as a pawn of Europe.  The one thing that I'd say is the author doesn't do a perfect job of taking the known history and putting it into an easily readable narrative.  I don't doubt that she did a ton of research to find all of the details, diaries, letters, all that.  But there's got to be a better way of describing discrepancies than just "X said this, but Y said this."  Also, while I appreciate an author writing about something they care about, it is incredibly obvious that the author is pro Marie Antoinette all the way.  She's biased.  And again, I can't imagine writing a book for years with characters I disliked, but at the same time, I wish she would have been a bit more willing to be impartial.

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For a New Best Friend, by Rachel Bertsche
As a girl who has gone somewhere new for college and grad school knowing not a single solitary girl friend, the title intrigued me (and reading a sample of her writing, sassy and confident, made a great foil for Marie Therese, no slight intended on historical non-fiction, of course). 

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
A reread for book club.  I love the idea of taking inspiration from the Bible and writing a story around it..but I just didn't love the execution.

No comments: