Monday, June 13, 2011

Pittsburgh, PA

I went straight from DC to the city of Pittsburgh to both celebrate a friend's wedding (photos forthcoming!) and stay with a fellow MIT summer student from 2007.   We're now both in grad school, ABD.  Feels good, but there's still much to do.  But yes---pictures!  

Catholic church near Carneigie Mellon

Dogwood

Carnegie Museum

Bromeliads

Orchid

Bromeliad

Glass figures

Bromeliad

Orchid

Green!

Proof I was indeed in Pittsburgh. 

Unknown tropical plant

Phipps Conservatory

 Cathedral of Learning


And of course, my friend and host that weekend is a star photographer, meaning her pictures at Phipps were simply stunning.  Check them out below and more here.  She jokes that my friends had given me the idea that Pittsburgh was a post-industrial wasteland, and after only a few short days (and some of the hotcakes at Pamela's Diner on the Strip with popcorn samples at Pittsburgh Popcorn Company) -well, I liked Pittsburgh far better than I expected to, that's for sure.  And I hope that I'll be able to return sometime soon, and visit some of the sights that I missed!  (and eat more popcorn, obviously)






No comments: