Saturday, May 23, 2009

I had to go to the grocery store---and why I love that the Salvation Army is on the way...

$15.03 total. For such beautiful beautiful pieces as:


and milk glass! I have a milk glass candy dish!


and a gravy boat. Because it's beautiful.



Also--it's official. I'm going to become a vintage plate lady. No cats for me...just lovely old dishes. I'm going to be the person everyone goes to when planning parties: "Hey Bridget - I was thinking of doing sort of a 60s sort of party to watch the 'Mad Men' season finale--do you have anything for that?"

Why, yes, in fact. I do.




The pineapple/grenades are pretty much my favorite.


Also, if you haven't been to Macy's home section lately, don't. Martha Stewart has her new line out in all its spring glory, and all of the packaging is just the perfect shade of blue. It will suck you in and make you want to live in pastel-world eating macaroons all day. I'm serious. I kept the box my new stainless steel bowls came in because I couln't bear to forget the color. Sick. I don't know how she does it.




And these two plates are perfect for those late nights when someone comes down, knocks on my door and asks for a cup of tea. While the pot boils on the stove, I'll bring down these two plates, and serve us some cookies or a muffin.


And after some fennel tea steeps, we talk things over---life will be calm and beautiful.

Some may argue, "You are collecting STUFF! You're forming these attachments to material objects. That's bad!" And to that I say...well...I guess? If I call it a collection does that make it better? And, according to the GRTs I have been talking to, I will actually need all of the plates and glasses I can get. So...my addiction isn't so bad after all. It at least has a defined purpose.

Also - does anyone know what these are?


They were inside a pyrex container that was taped shut that I bought this past fall. They are about 1.5 inches diameter, and I just cannot figure out for the life of me what they are for. Anyone?

6 comments:

said...

Cookie cutters??

Anonymous said...

My grandma had a set of green glasses - she used to keep her teeth in them so now I refuse to drink out of them. They are straight from the sixties, though!

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

My mom emailed me and thinks they are for cutting cucumbers and such for fancy-schmancy sandwiches, but they don't look all the sharp. I looked around awhile online last fall and tried to find out exactly what they are, but to no avail...the fact that they are all shaped on one side and circular on the other is really throwing me off.

Kate: oh wow. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Loving all of this - that martha blue sure is beautiful. *sigh* Especially dig the milk glass.

Rick L said...

Can you actually use them as glasses? Namely, do they have a bottom?
Old beer glasses used to have a curved bottom so you'd have to drink the whole thing before you could set it down. Do they stand on both sides?

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Rick--which ones? The green ones? Those are definitely glasses. The plastic ones are modified cylinders...