Friday, May 15, 2009

Harold Fairchild - update!

I finally heard back from the MIT archives, and they copied and sent me three pieces about Harold 'Hal' Fairchild:

Yearbook picture:

This one is a bit hard to read: sorry about the quality. I'm going to ask them if they can do high quality scanned and reproduced images to include with the books when they are going to be donated.

It says:

Harold Welch Fairchild

Pelham, N.Y.

"Hal"; Born April 29, 1908; Prepared at Pelham High School; Aeronautical Engineering; Osiris; Pi Delta Epsilon; Tau Beta Pi; Theta Tau; Varsity Club; Aeronautical Engineering Society; Gym, Varsity Team (2, 3, 4), Captain (4); Wearer of the "T"; Field Day Marshal (4); Technique, Treasurer (2), Photographic Manager (3), Resigned, Business Manager (3); M.I.T.A.A (4); Prize Song Committee Chairman (3); R.O.T.C.; Entered Freshman Year.

I'm going to try contacting the fraternities and see if I come up with anything as well...

Here's a bit more about the Song Committee:


and also the obituary that appeared in the Technology Review in 1933: ("1929" refers to the 1929 graduates that passed away)


I still haven't heard back from Pratt and Whitney, but I'd like to find out more about his time there as well as see the back issues for SAE.

I will be going down to New York to present the three books I have in June. What a story!

No comments: