Thursday, March 26, 2009

90 minutes of power yoga, or how I learned that I can actual sweat quite prolifically

My friend C. was going to her yoga class tonight (she's training for Ironman 2010---um, if that is crazy/cool, I don't know what is), and she asked if I'd like to come. I've never been (ever), mostly because I was too scared to do something wrong on my own and learn terrible habits.

It felt slightly odd going into a yoga studio: it just felt very mixed up in its identity...as in, it can't decide if it's more about the spiritual side of yoga or the workout side of yoga. And I found that difference a bit disconcerting. I signed the waiver (if I ever get hurt at yoga class, you'll be getting a call, mom), paid for the 90 minute class, took off everything but my biking shorts and a tshirt (obviously my most attractive outfit), and walked into the "Earth" room with my mat. We found a place to set things down, and did some light stretching. We began by doing some "easy" things. Now, it's quite deceptive, for all of these poses are hard. And as the teacher said "All students new to yoga think they can do anything and try too hard..." which frankly got a bit obnoxious. Yes, lady, I know I'm new at this. It should be obvious. Instead of making me feel, well, you know, stupid and uncoordinated, gently moving my body would be more helpful. And even for the three times she helped me...it's really hard to understand how you are supposed to hold your muscles or your body, especially when it isn't used to the motions. I also could not believe that downward dog was so hard! It is supposed to be a rest pose, but my lord. My wrists could not stand it. C. swears it'll get better. But I have no idea how. Also, it's pretty funny, but downward dog is actually the stationary version of the Jacob butt crawl (my little brother didn't really crawl using the meat of his lower legs...he just put his palms on the ground and motored---with his butt high in the air. It was adorable). Also, the annoyance of yoga for me is that all of the poses done "easier" involve putting your knee flat on the flat hard floor. Holy cow. Bad idea. It is a wood floor cushioned by barely anything. My knee can move, certainly, but the sort of blunt hard contact is just unbearable. So I did a lot of child pose. Whatever...I still think I did okay for my first time.

Alo, it's really funny how all of these women rattle off these long names without blinking an eye---I would just look over at C. helplessly and watch as I went. Although this got harder as time went on and I got so sweaty my glasses started to fall down my face. Seriously, I have never sweat that much in my life. It was surreal. I couldn't do some of the poses because I was either slipping off the mat or slipping on myself...and unfortunately it's not very yoga-like to slip and do the whole sweaty-skin on bare floor thwacking sound.

Our teacher was interesting...she kind of mixed back and forth between the meditation-y part of yoga and this really awkwardly negative prescence (there was a bit about two brothers - one who was brilliant and started his own company and sold it for 85 million, and one who was a screwoff high school teacher with tattoos and really awful stereotypes about marines...it was nutty. And please. You all have tattoos. So don't even try. And insulting teachers versus capitalists hardly seems in sync with yoga). Also, she ended the class with this really annoying announcement (after 10 minutes of silent meditation) about the next classes. After such silence, it felt shrill and completely out of place.

So, I certainly drank a bit of the koolaid---I forgot how nice it is to workout with someone else (even when you feel so awful in comparison). But - my muscles feel a good sore instead of truly painful, unless you count my knees of course. So --- as soon as C. finds a great teacher, I think I will return...and thank goodness, for it will give me a bit of time to learn how to do a decent downward dog (and practice enough so my wrists don't hurt anymore).

1 comment:

said...

I think you forgot to mention that it was Bikram yoga-- i.e. hot yoga, done in a >96F room (give by how much I was sweating, I'd say it was the 'official' 105F temp).

In order to teach yoga, you have to know all the Sanskrit names for the poses-- like pranayama (deep breathing; essential to yoga), chaturunga (where we do the elbows-in pushup), and, of course, the wonderful savasana (corpse pose).

For your downward-facing dog: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/491

Again, I'm sorry it was such a negative class; I was pretty disappointed myself.

This is the place I practiced at in Tucson:
http://www.yogaoasis.com/teacherbios.html

Darren was the real deal. His wife Bronwin would often sing for us during a real savasana (last night's was WAY too short, and was FAR from meditative). Check out her 30-second sample at http://cdbaby.com/cd/bronwin "Invocation" is quite good.

Anyway, sorry for the yoga ramble; I'm not ready to start work today!